The Best-Kept Secret

Search & Win

Thursday, October 1, 2009

stART: Blueberries for Sal

I came across stART a couple of weeks ago and liked the idea of reading and art combination right away.  Our public library has a similar program every Saturday where children have a story hour first and then they do craft related to the story.  My daughter enjoys it very much.  This week I decided to participate in stART carnival created by A Mommy's Adventures. This week she has a fun craft, by the way.
Yesterday we read a classic children's book Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey.

The story has a great plot that children can relate themselves to. Two little ones - little girl Sal and Little Bear - get lost for a little while while picking blueberries which resulted in swapping moms and creating a comical situation enjoyable for young listeners.
We liked this story so much that we decided to make our own Blueberry Hill and the main characters so we could role play it.  I made the characters by drawing them with colored pencils and glueing them to cardboard.   Pumpkin and I made Blueberry Hill together.  Cardboard, colored paper, hole puncher and glue is all you will need.



This is our Blueberry Hill with two moms and two little ones.


23 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I love the paper punch blueberries. Neat idea to use cardboard - your scene came out like an old fashioned felt board project - nice extension of the story.

Virginia Lee said...

My son adores this book. Like the paper punch blueberries too.

http://rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

We have never read this book, I will have to pick it up on our next trip to the library. I love your priject it is very cute! Thank you for linking up :0)

Christy Killoran said...

I LOVE it. We love this book too. We read it when we were studying the state of Maine.

Susana said...

I love this. You did a wonderful job. I really, really love this.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is very pretty, and you draw so well. I keep hearing good things about this book, and it keeps missing from our library. Eventually I will catch it :)

Twincerely,Olga said...

wow! I love your blog! You have some wonderful ideas!I'm following you now!

Trudie said...

Love how your project turned out! Thanks for the great comment on my post!

Kitty said...

Some books never get old... especially when you're little. My niece loves that book. Cute layout! Glad I stopped by!

Mary K Brennan said...

Our library had a similar program. The kids just loved it.

The girl who painted trees said...

My LO LOVES this book. I love this idea. I'll have to remember this.

http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

Dumb Mom said...

We've enjoyed this book from the library numerous times. You'd think I'd just go on and buy after all the cash I've spent on late return fees. Coulda owned three copies by now:)

Eva said...

Nice! hole punch blueberries is a great idea :) I'll have to get this book from my library too!

healthy Mom said...

I love this, I am going to go and find this book.

TooFatties said...

I love the idea of incorporating art! Very cool!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

You must have way more will power than I do. I've actually thought about going the mouth-wired-shout-route. Ha!

MaricrisG said...

This is an excellent idea. I would love to do this with my daughter. I bet she'll have a blast. She loves to cut papers and whatnots :)

tinahead81 said...

what a great idea! i think i will try the craft thing with a book! i used to love "book reports" as a kid-you know, make a scene from the book and glue it all in a shoe box!! definetly going to try this!

happy sits saturday sharefest!

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

What a great idea! This is the first I've heard of stART but I love it!

said...

I'm so impressed that you took the story that you read to new levels.

Stopping by from SITS! :o)

Jennifer Juniper said...

My kids like to work on art projects that relate to books. I even blogged a tutorial to make Eric Carle type art. The kids are always so proud to show off their projects, aren't they?

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Wow, this is very creative! That's one of our very favorite books!

Susie Buetow said...

My girls LOVED that book when they were little. This is always one of the books the older girls grab if they are going to babysit. I'm always surprised at how many parents have never heard of this book. Loved the Activity! I've never hear of "stART". I'll have to look into it. When I taught ART in the school system I would do this very thing with books and branching it into an art project. Two favs for his "Go Away Big Green Monster" and "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"
@susieqtpies

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

Hope all is well. Noticed you hadn't posted in awhile. If you have time just stop by my blog and let me know everything is fine.